Is your mojo running in slo-mo? Mojo is our internal energy, inspiration and power that propels us joyfully forward in life, allowing us to act upon that which we desire. Our tanks get low on mojo when we allow it to become stagnant, depleted or sucked away from us by others. However, we can fill our tanks whenever we wish. All it takes is some intention, conscious awareness and choice.
We acquire more mojo when we choose those activities that are healthy, balanced and blissful. Below are five simple, yet effective, mojo boosters to help you out of the recession rut:
- Be good to yourself. One of the most important steps you can take to boost your mojo is to adopt a rigorous plan for self-care. This includes choosing the highest quality fuel to run on. Choose healthy foods to eat, avoid eating too many empty (albeit comforting) sugary foods and simple carbs. Get outside at least once a day to breathe in one of nature’s biggest mojo boosters: Oxygen! Also, don’t be shy when it comes to getting those forty winks over the weekend, soaking in a tub, or getting a massage. Take care of your body so it will take care of you.
- Be playful. When is the last time you’ve seen a child without energy? It rarely happens! Most children have one agenda item on their list: have fun. They revel in the act of creating, exploring and playing. Their days fly by, and they never want to take a nap or go to bed for fear that they will miss something wonderful. We can learn something from these smaller teachers by incorporating a little more play into our lives. Break out the board games, dance around the living room, or even make snow angels in the back yard!
- Be mindful. Our mojo gets sapped when our minds endlessly jump from task to task, or more precisely, obsess over problem after problem. Our computers need to be turned off every once in a while to function optimally, and our minds are no different. Take some time to mentally defrag through the act of meditation. You will be surprised how much more energized you feel after letting your brain rest for a bit. Once you have incorporated periods of silence into your life, you can begin to add other mindful activities, such as creative visualization or clearing your space through decluttering and other feng shui techniques.
- Be present. A major obstacle to maximizing one’s mojo is the all-too-common practice of regretting the past or fretting over the future. We wallow in previous so-called failures or fear the absolute worst of what may happen instead of living joyfully in the moment. We don’t know what the future holds, and it is a waste of valuable time and mojo to try to control it. The best way to remain firmly planted in the present is to increase your awareness. Place your hand on your heart. What do you feel? Look around. What do you see? Our lives are rich beyond measure when we take the time to be fully present.
- Be grateful. Expressing gratitude is like receiving a shot of adrenaline. When we are grateful for what we already have – a home, a family, love, health, food and shelter – we instantly get a boost of mojo that can help us through the tough times. Think about starting and ending each day with a “gratitude rant.” Before you get out of bed or before you shut off the light, mentally rattle off all of the fabulous things in your life. Take note of the gifts contained within the challenges of the day.
Even though it sometimes seems like our energy is dependent on the status of the market, the messages from the media or the balance in our bank accounts, we can break that pattern by making these simple mojo-boosting choices over and over again, day after day, minute by minute. Decide today to become a powerful, creative force overflowing with some serious mojo!