A Gluten-free, Dairy-free Whole Food Recipe
I’ve tried many chili recipes and I landed on this one as my favorite. It’s thick, flavorful and the bottle of gluten-free bear adds a great flavor. If you haven’t had your greens for the day, add some kale or spinach.
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced thin
4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 TBS unrefined olive oil
1/2 to 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (based on the spice level you prefer)
2 to 3 tsp chili powder
2 heaping teaspoons oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 lb ground organic turkey
1 15-oz can of corn, drained
1 28-oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 15-oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
2 15-oz cans of mixed chili beans
1 15-oz can refried beans (Amy’s organic with green chilies works well)
1 gluten-free beer (Daura is a good brand.)
2 TBS honey
2 TBS red wine vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt to taste (start with 1/2 tsp)
1. SautÃ© diced onion and garlic in olive oil in large heavy pot over medium heat.
2. Stir in chili powder, oregano and cumin.
3. Cook until the onions are soft and coated in seasonings.
4. Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
5. Add corn, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, refried beans, beer, carrot, honey, vinegar and salt to taste.
6. Turn down heat and cook at a low simmer partially covered for about 1 hour, stirring frequently.
7. Adjust seasonings as needed and add chopped cilantro. Serves 8.