I know what you’re thinking…beans…in brownies, you’re crazy! You can call me crazy after you’ve tried them. These moist brownies are not only satisfying, but packed with protein. So if you’re ready to upgrade your brownie recipe, this one’s for you.
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 to 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey (make as mildly sweet as possible)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. In a blender or food processor, combine beans, eggs and cocoa until smooth.
2. Then add all other ingredients, except the walnuts, until blended.
3. Pour batter into an 8- or 9-inch greased pan. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes depending on the size of pan. The brownies are done when the center is firm to touch. Do not overcook. They should be moist.
5. Cool, cut and serve. Enjoy with friends! Makes 12 brownies