A Gluten-free, Dairy-free Whole Food Recipe
THIS MEATLOAF IS PACKED with flavor, vegetables and topped with a delicious glaze. It makes enough for two meatloaves (standard size loaf pans) so I cook one and freeze the other. Serve with a side of vegetables and brown rice if desired.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion
1 large zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided use
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 pound ground bison
1 pound ground grass-fed beef
1 cup ketchup, divided use
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, zucchini, pepper, garlic, 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté until veggies are al dente.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and parsley. Add the meat, 1/2 cup of ketchup, 2 TBS balsamic vinegar and the cooled veggies. Mix until just combined.
4. Grease a loaf pan with olive oil. Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place in pan.
5. In a small bowl, make the glaze by mixing 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture over loaf.
6. Bake uncovered for approximately 60-75 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serves 8-10.