A Gluten-free, Dairy-free Whole Food Recipe
NOT ONLY ARE greens nutrient dense, but they are also an excellent source of calcium. The bacon provides fat which helps the body absorb nutrients. Buy bacon from pastured pork, without nitrites. This is a delicious way to enjoy greens!
3 bacon strips
6-7 cups collard greens
1 TBS bacon drippings or to taste
1 cup leeks or onions, thinly sliced
Sea salt to taste
1. In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Pour fat into a container to reserve. Wipe out pan.
2. Stack 4-5 leaves of collards, roll them into a thin strip. Slice crosswise into strips.
3. In a large skillet with a lid, bring water to a boil. Add the greens and cook on high heat, covered, for 8-10 minutes. Greens should be tender and a bright green. Use a slotted spoon to remove greens from liquid.
4. In skillet, heat 1 TBS bacon drippings over medium heat. Add leeks or onions and sauté for 5-8 minutes, until soft. Stir in collards to coat with leeks and bacon drippings.
5. Season with sea salt. Crumble the bacon onto hot greens. Serves 2 to 3.