Phytonutrient research on the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits of walnuts reveals their protective effect against metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular problems, and type 2 diabetes. Here is a recipe to enjoy this health-promoting nut. Soaking and roasting nuts increases their digestibility and imparts a delicious, light crispness.
5 cups walnuts
1 generous TBS ghee or butter
1 generous TBS raw honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. On your counter, soak the walnuts for 8 hours in a large bowl with filtered water and 1 tsp sea salt.
2. Drain nuts in colander.
3. Then spread the nuts in a thin layer on a standard baking sheet.
4. Roast at 150 degrees (170 is OK if your oven does not go that low) for approximately 2 hours.
5. The nuts will be light and crispy when done. Place in a large mixing bowl.
6. In a saucepan, combine butter, honey and cinnamon on low heat until blended.
7. Pour mixture over nuts, stir to coat.
8. Store in an airtight container.
If you are able to eat dairy, these are delicious sprinkled over organic plain whole milk yogurt with a sliced banana for a wholesome, satisfying snack.