I met my guardian angel when I was 29 years old. At the time, my life was a void and all I saw was bleakness. The stress of building a new home, not being able to sell the one I had, and a job I loathed all combined to affect not only my mental health, but my physical health, as well. Sleepless nights and a dangerous weight drop. I was a hot mess.
Days would go by when I just sobbed. Not eating. No zest for life, just emptiness. I felt stuck and wondered, “How did I get here? Is this really my life?”
One night, unable to sleep, I went downstairs to sit. I felt empty and just wanted to escape my life. I was sitting on the sofa, crying softly and trying not to wake up anyone in the house when I felt a shift. It was so subtle, but my soul knew something had changed in the room. My body stilled, and my energy changed frequency. I looked up from my hands and hiccuped.
Radiant in a blue-white light, I saw the love and kindness on her face. Her eyes met mine and I looked into a place so deep and filled with light that my breath left my body. She stretched out her arms and I felt a love so deep fill me up. Every part of my body and soul felt alive, humming, and for the first time in many months, I felt safe.
My angel. My own angel. The tears streaming down my face were relief leaking out of my body. I was not alone. My angel shared a smile that let me know I was deeply loved — and then she was gone.
I’ve encountered her many times since that dark night — in moments of deep stillness, at the pinnacle of grief, and even in the instance of pure bliss. She is there, walking beside me. Guiding, protecting and loving me.
Connecting with her is one of my greatest sources of joy and comfort. Her name is Mary and she’s my guardian angel.
We all have guardian angels. Connecting with yours is simpler that you can even imagine.
There are ways for you to open or deepen your relationship with your guardian angel. I’m thrilled when I receive a sign or just feel her presence nearby — a gentle breeze when there’s no other air moving or an energetic humming in my body. Here is a guide to angels:
• Know that everyone has a guardian angel. They’ve been with you since birth and are with you on life’s journey.
• Angels can’t come to our aid without our asking. We must invite their help, wisdom and love into our lives. Simply state, “Angels, please help with….”
• Communication with your angels can happen in many ways, through signs such as angel numbers, feathers, animals or coins. For me, I can feel angels through a change in my energy, a humming feeling in my body.
• You can ask your angels to help or heal others as long as it’s in the best interest of the other person.
• Want to know your guardian angel’s name? Ask. Get into a quiet space, breathe slowly and deeply through your nose for a few minutes and ask, “Beautiful guardian angel, what is your name?” Be still, listen. The answer will be the first name to pop into your head.
• Remember to say thank you and acknowledge your angel’s help!
Being open to angel encounters is the first step. As your awareness increases, you’ll notice the signs from the angelic realm. When I received my first sign it was on a license plate in from of me while I was driving. It read KEB444 — my initials plus the angel number that represents my guardian angels being with me. I nearly wet my pants I was so excited!
Start today and begin a beautiful relationship with your angel. Then share you experience with others. We all need a bit of help, and who better to lend a hand than an angel?